Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Meatloaf again?

For many people “my age” the word "Meatloaf" congers up memories of the midnight showing of the cult favorite "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at the Cedar Lane Movie Theater in Teaneck, NJ, where 20 or so of my closest friends and I would go after a night of (clearing my throat) “reading.” It also brings back memories of my mother’s kitchen where we would sit at the dinner table and, when our mother wasn't looking, we would trade our food. Diana took my veggies and I took her potatoes and meat. (And I blame her for my weight issues, but that’s a story for another time!) And whatever neither of us liked we fed it to the dog under the table. Our brother Jimmy ate everything But Meatloaf night was an all-around favorite and I have passed that on to my family. Some really like the meatloaf, and others really like the potatoes and veggies.  Cooking them in the same pan saves time and marries all the flavors. So whether you have all the time in the world or are crazed like a “Bat Out of Hell” (c’mon people, it’s a Meatloaf reference), you’ll want to make this meal for a hearty week night dish. —Lisa



What you’ll need:
1 ½ lbs ground beef
½ onion, chopped
1 tbsp parsley
Salt/pepper to taste
1 slice of white bread, crust removed and soaked in milk
1 egg
2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsps ketchup
½ cup bread crumbs (Italian style, of course)
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

Also:
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
2 cans whole white potatoes
1 can peas

Mix  together first 11 ingredients.  Spray the bottom of a large baking pan and form the meat mixture into a loaf in the pan. Open the two cans of tomatoes and pour over the loaf.  Open and drain the potatoes and peas. Arrange them around the loaf. Cover with tin foil.

Now take just a jump to the left...and then a step to the riiiiight. And put your hands on your hips...Oh, sorry, I started doing the Time Warp. OK, back to the recipe...

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Remove foil and sprinkle some shredded Monterey Jack cheese over the top of the loaf and bake for another 15 minutes.  Let the meatloaf cool a little and slice and serve. Meat, potatoes and veggies all in one pan...hot patootie, bless my soul! (Sorry, had to get just one more in there.) Happy birthday, Meatloaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment