Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Jambalaya

My husband works late some nights. So when I know we can’t sit down together and eat, I try to make meals that will warm up easily for whenever either he or my son get home. Jambalaya is one of those dishes. Oh, you can go to the box mix and just add meat, or you can try this very easy recipe and take all the glory. I like to shred the chicken because I prefer having a little chicken in each bite rather than chunks of chicken. You can add as much hot sauce as you want. I always start off with a little and then put a little more….and a little more…..and a little more….until my sinuses are completely cleared! How brave are you? —Lisa

You’ll need:
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined but not cooked
2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
8 hot sausages, parboiled, then sliced and browned
½ onion, chopped
½ package frozen mixed peppers
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 plum tomatoes chopped (I get from my Topsy-Turvy. It really does work!)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Frank’s Red Hot sauce (I put that “*&^%” on everything!)
1 cup rice, cooked ½ way
3 cups chicken broth
Your favorite Creole seasoning
Tissues, the number depends on how much hot sauce you use!


In a bowl, put the shrimp, shredded chicken, and Creole seasoning mix.  Toss together and let sit.

Sauté the onion and peppers in a deep pot. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Add the partially cooked rice and the chicken broth. Add the shrimp/chicken mixture and reduce to medium heat. Add the browned sausage and let cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, and most of the liquid is gone.

Serve with more hot sauce...if you dare! (Here's where the tissues come in handy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment