Thursday, February 23, 2012

Zucchini Ribbons with Campari Tomatoes

"I remember getting so excited when we would visit my cousins and aunt and uncle. I couldn’t wait to get over there, see everyone, and play. My brother and I would run into the house and go directly to the basement, where they had the best playroom. I loved it! To be honest, I barely remember eating because we were too busy playing. What I do remember is the sheer volume of noise—the adults talking, the kids screaming, and everyone laughing. Our family does a lot of laughing. I distinctly remember Aunt Paula’s laugh and how it was usually my father who was making her laugh. He has that gift; all Bucco’s do. I remember Aunt Paula calling me Jilly. To this day, my family  calls me Jilly. When I think of Aunt Paula I smile. She was a great woman. I miss her dearly. Thinking of her brings fond memories to my mind and tears to my eyes. What a great aunt she was!

This zucchini dish is light, fast, and contains a ton of nutrients. I came up with this recipe because I’ve been trying to eat healthy and drop a few extra pounds before summer. I’m constantly trying new ways to make veggies without adding fat and calories." —Jill
You’ll need:
2 Zucchini, peeled
5 small Campari tomatoes, chopped
Olive oil
Black pepper
Fresh spinach, one bunch
1 Lemon
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Garlic, 4 small cloves or 2 large cloves

To make the spinach pesto, combine spinach, cheese, and garlic in a food processor. Slowly add about three tablespoons of olive oil as the pesto blends. Once blended, add the lemon juice, stir, and set aside.

Peel the zucchini with a potato peeler to remove the waxy layer. Still with the peeler, shred each zucchini into ribbons into a pan. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, tomatoes salt and pepper to taste and sauté over medium heat until tomatoes and zucchini are tender. Toss with the pesto and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

This is delicious served warm or cold. It’s also great tossed with whole wheat pasta with grilled chicken or fish on top. It’s heart healthy and loaded with flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment