Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Panzanella Salad (Italian Bread Salad)

This is a no-cook recipe I have seen made a thousand ways. It's fresh, it's healthy, it's AMAZING. It got my attention immediately when I saw that bread was involved. I could never ever eat low carb. I'm convinced that there has to be a high-carb diet out there that works. Trust me, if it's out there I'll find it. For the nine years I was a vegetarian, I tried all kinds of vegetable recipes I thought I'd enjoy. This salad can be made with leftover veggies in your fridge or any cold, crisp vegetable that is in season. I've seen it made with capers, roasted red peppers, bell peppers and more. Use your imagination and let your appetite lead the way! My version includes seven simple ingredients.— Jill

You'll Need: 
Tomato
Cucumber
Red onion
Bread (can be day old bread) Ciabatta, whole grain, or any other crusty bread. This is a great way to not only use up veggies in the fridge, but to also use up leftover bread of all kinds.
Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Oregano
Cube the bread, red onion, cucumber, and tomato into large bite-sized pieces and place into a large bowl. Add a generous amount of the oil and vinegar. (I use red wine vinegar, but balsamic is also good if you want to use a mixture.) 
Add the oregano, toss and eat. This is great as a side dish, or as a light lunch. 
Add tuna, chicken, or shrimp for a more hardy meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment