Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup with Quesadilla Dippers

I love mexican food. Who doesn't? My feeling is anything you can put sour cream on can't be all that bad. I love dips and I'm always looking for a healthier way to make the things I love.That's how I came up with this amazingly tasty soup with these delicious dippers. You can eat a lot of these and leave the guilt at the door because. Whenever I eat this flavorful soup I feel like I'm on vacation...without the moral hangover. (P.S. This is best served with a Corona or your favorite margarita!) — Jill


Prep time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8-10

You will need:
2 small rotisserie chickens (usually available already cooked at your local grocery store.)
1 large can of San Martzano tomatoes
1 large box of chicken stock or broth (I use 1 large broth and 1 small box of stock.)
1 green pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 small bag frozen corn (or you can shuck fresh if you are ambitious.)
1 can of white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 small white potatoes, diced
3 tbsps hot sauce
1 packet of taco seasoning or you can use ground cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic, and onion powder
1 small jar of your favorite salsa (or you can make your own by combining tomatoes, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, lime, onion)

Sautee the onion and peppers in a few drizzles of olive oil until tender.
Add in potatoes and sautee for a few minutes.
Add tomatoes and broth
Add the rest of the ingredients
Shred chicken off bone of one chicken and add to soup
Let all ingredients simmer for 30 minutes. (This recipe is great made in advance. You can even make it in a crock pot if you like that slow cooked flavor and want to use raw chicken. I prefer the rotisserie chicken because it’s moist and tender.)

Quesadilla Dipppers:
Your favorite flat bread or tortillas. I use Flat Out Italian or Flat Out Tomato.
Take 2 tortillas. Fill with your favorite cheese; I use jack and Monterey.)
Add some sliced scallions and shredded chicken from the second rotisserie.
Grill in a griddle pan until golden brown on each side and cheese is melted.
Top soup with sour cream, salsa, chopped tomato, raw onion, tortilla chips and serve w a quesadilla wedge on the side.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment