Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Cookies

When I tell my family I’m going to my “Happy Place,” they know where that is…the kitchen. But it’s not to cook, it’s to bake. Don’t get me wrong, I love to cook. I enjoy cooking every day.  But baking makes me happy, happy, happy!  I absolutely love to bake and I mostly love to bake cookies.  I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s that smell of the fresh baked cookies, and tasting one warm right from the oven.  But whenever I need a mental health break, I go straight to the cookbooks and find a cookie that sounds amazing.  This is one of those cookies.  Its lemony goodness is just perfect for these warm summer days.  (It doesn’t hurt that one of the ingredients is ricotta cheese!)  So grab a glass of milk and be prepared to say, “Mmm...cookies!”—Lisa

 For the cookies:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter,-softened to room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 small (15 oz) container of ricotta cheese
3 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of one lemon

For the glaze:
1 ½ cups powdered confectioners ‘sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of one lemon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. 
In a mixer (or large bowl) combine butter and sugar.  Beat until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Add the ricotta cheese, the lemon juice and lemon zest.  Beat until combined and then add the flour mixture.  Mix well.

Drop the dough by a full tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  The edges should be slightly golden brown.  Take out of the oven and cool on the cookie sheet.  Meanwhile, make the glaze.

Combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until well incorporated. When cookies are cool, spoon a little of the glaze on top of each cookie.  Sprinkle a little of the lemon zest on top of the glaze.  Let the cookies sit for a while (if you can stand it) until the glaze hardens.  Grab a large glass of milk and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment