Friday, April 6, 2012

Eggplant Rollatini

My husband Arnold LOVES eggplant parmigiana, as do I.  The task of making it, however, not so much.  I usually make on a Sunday when I have a lot of time.  I have to make the gravy, slice the eggplant, bread it...blah, blah, blah. So when I saw the eggplant sliced already at Corrado’s in Fairfield, I jumped on the chance to make the eggplant, with a little change. 

I breaded the eggplant with breadcrumbs like I usually do, but then just flash fried them. What does that mean?  I heat the oil and leave the eggplant in until they are almost light brown. I didn’t want to over cook them so they were too stiff to stuff and roll.  Then, always having a jar of my favorite gravy frozen, I defrosted that and made eggplant rollatini. Make some spaghetti on the side and this meal is fit for a Sunday afternoon, but in half the time! —Lisa


You'll need: 
1 pkg sliced eggplant
Seasoned breadcrumbs
1 container (16 oz) ricotta cheese
1 egg
½ cup sugar
1 package mozzarella, sliced
Homemade gravy or...UGH...your favorite jarred sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Bread the eggplant and flash fry (almost brown).  Set aside to cool.

Combine the ricotta cheese, the egg and sugar.  Mix well.

When eggplant is cool to the touch, take each piece and put the prepared ricotta cheese in the middle.  Roll each piece up and place in baking dish, seam side down.

Top each piece with a slice of mozzarella and gravy. You can add some grated cheese, too, if you like.  Bake until the mozzarella is melted.  Serve with spaghetti and use the extra gravy. Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment