Monday, January 28, 2013

Kidney Stew

"For as long as I can remember, my mother and grandmother always enjoyed a good bowl of kidney stew. They don't have it often, but when they get a hankering, or "the woolies" as my mother would say, they have to have it! Walking into my mother's house last night and seeing the two of them sitting at the table enjoying their stew, for me was like a looking at a Norman Rockwell scene. Then it dawned on me that it was my turn to post a recipe and I had nothing. Perfect! Kidney stew it is. So I grabbed a pen and paper and told the two of them to start taking. In addition to the recipe, I heard some interesting stories. 

Turns out my grandmother's mother would go to the farm, squeeze all the chickens to find the plumpest, and then take the headless victim home in a bag for my grandmother to pluck away the feathers. 'She cooked. every part of the chicken,' my grandmother explained. 'She even made lung stew.' OK, gross. But wait; it gets better. 'Then she would peel the membrane from the brain, cut it up, and bread the pieces and fry them up. They were delicious; I loved them.' Hmmm.  

My mother recalled eating blackbirds as a child and how, when she was 5, she ruined Easter for everyone when she made a commotion after discovering that her favorite pet duck, Donald, was dinner. Needless to say it was an interesting night. I may not like kidney stew, but sure do love the memories and stories that go with it." —Diana 

You'll Need: 
2 veal kidneys (you can use pork or beef if you prefer)

1 medium onion, red or yellow, sliced

1/2 cup white vinegar 

1 tbsp. salt

1 can vegetable broth (or equivalent amount of water)

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

3 bay leaves 


The kidneys need to be cured before cooking. Put them in a pot or bowl and cover with water. Add the white vinegar and salt. Let soak for at least 2 hours. 

When done soaking, drain and rinse the kidneys with cold water. 

Heat a large skillet coated with oil and sauté the onion slices until golden. Add the kidneys, black pepper, red wine vinegar and bay leaves. Mix gently then add the vegetable broth or water. 

Cover and cook on medium heat for about one hour. When done, add flour to thicken to desired consistency. 

Serve over rice or spaghetti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment