Monday, July 30, 2012

Steak Pizzaiola

One of the many great things about having Italian friends, other than they talk at the same volume level, is that no matter what time I stop by they are usually at the stove cooking. This was the case a few weeks ago when I popped over my friend Maria’s house at 11 a.m. I knew the minute I walked through the door and was greeted by the smell of sautéed garlic that Maria Fabrazzo Hangge was in her groove. And there she was...standing in her jammies frying up meat for steak pizzaiola. I was tempted to return that night to enjoy the finished product, but instead I took her recipe and made it at home later that week. It was a big hit and so simple to make. So give Maria’s pizzaiola a try and yes, it does taste better when you make it in your jammies. Yes, I did try to get a picture of her in action, but she wrestled me to the ground. (That’s the other thing about Italian friends…they’re not afraid to kick your ass!) Diana

You’ll need:
4 lbs beef round steak
2  28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, sliced
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large frying pan, sauté garlic in olive oil. When garlic just begins to get brown on edges remove from pan and set aside. Fry the steaks in the oil.

When the steaks are brown, remove and place into roasting pan. Pour crushed tomatoes over meat to completely cover. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano and grated parmesan cheese. Top with the garlic.

Bake for 30-40 minutes. Don’t forget the Italian rolls to make sandwiches! Add a side salad and dinner is done! 


Maria and her son Ryan chowing down on the pizzaiola. 

The finished product...beautiful! 




No comments:

Post a Comment