Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Poppa's Sausage and Peppers

This recipe actually comes from my father-in-law Arnold. He and I were very close, I think mainly because he was the father of three boys and I was his first daughter-in-law. He used to hide his favorite cookies in the house and I was the only one who knew this special spot. We would call him the Barbecue Master because no one dared touch his grill (or his garbage, but that's a post for another time!), and he absolutely loved to barbecue for his family.  His sausage and peppers was everyone’s favorite dish.  I consider myself lucky because he pulled me aside one day and told me what he believed to be the key to a great sausage and pepper sandwich. My family now considers my sausage and peppers the best, and I owe it all to Poppa! — Lisa


Poppa's Sausage and Peppers
5 pounds of sweet Italian sausage (remember, I make everything in bulk)
15 bell peppers—5 red, 5 green, and 5 yellow or any combination you want
2 large onions
Olive oil
Several packages of long, soft Italian rolls

Parboil the sausage. Drain and let cool.
Slice each pepper into long strips about 1-inch wide.
Slice the onions the same way.
Now this was important according to Poppa:
Slice each sausage on a slant into about 5 pieces. You do not want chunks of sausage, rather slices of sausage so they go on a roll easier and cook more evenly.

Divide the sausage, peppers and onions into two large aluminum pans.
Liberally soak with olive oil, and get messy! C'mon, get your hands in there and toss it all around!

Cover both pans with foil. Wondering why you haven't preheated the oven? Because you're going to cook it on the grill! It’s just not the same in the oven. Put all the burners on medium heat and cook for at least an hour, stirring frequently and recovering. The peppers and onions should be soft but not mushy, and the sausage edges should have a nice brown color. There will be a lot of liquid, which is the best for dunking the sandwich and extra bread. And don't forget the napkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment